[FX.php List] [OFF] Method to access our server from outside

Troy Meyers tcmeyers at troymeyers.com
Sat Sep 20 13:53:22 MDT 2008

My switch to SSL is going quite well. I "went live" with it briefly, and some external testers said the site worked as it should, no surprises. The only difference they saw was that non-secure http requests magically turned into https requests (not obvious unless they were looking for it) ...which is exactly what I wanted.

Further testing here showed a potential problem, but since I'm in-house I don't know if anyone off of our local network experienced it.

What I'm wondering is if there is any way I can contact a remote server, which will in turn forward my page request back here, fetch the page results, then forward the results back to me?

In this way I don't have to wait until external testers are available.

I used to do this using the AOL client software, such as it is, because it seems that http requests in the "browser" went to AOL first, they collected the page, then sent it back. This no longer seems to work reliably, though.

Is there a site or service I can use to accomplish this?

-Troy