[FX.php List] @ and ~ in TO and field names

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 19 17:14:20 MDT 2008

Hi all

I've just inherited a DB for which I'll be converting a site from
lasso to PHP.

All Join TOs currently use the '@' symbol to represent the join, e.g.
Parent at Child (ugh!).  Additionally, some base Tables and some field
names start with a '~' symbol, e.g. ~Table or ~Field.

Certainly this is not good practice, but does anyone know if these
will (definitely) cause problems when using them with PHP?  Seemingly
there've been no problems using them w/ lasso.

The lasso site already uses a separate FM Web file, so if I were to
use that for the PHP, I *could* change the TO names in that file --
although field names would still have the ~ symbol.

There seem to be a *lot* of TO names I'd have to change.  Would I be
asking for trouble if I were to leave the @ and ~ symbols in the TO
names?

TIA,
-Joel