[FX.php List] Faster record creation? (resolved)

John Funk csinfo at criticalsolution.com
Tue Sep 16 12:10:06 MDT 2008

Jonathan, Great idea, I even tried that before but the situation is that
multiple users are on the system at the same time and the pre-created
records need to be available for every user to assign the child records the
parent ID.

Here are my findings on this issue:
1. One layout made just for creating records with only the two fields is
best.
2. No Timestamp fields, this caused an approximate 30% increase in record
creation time, even when not on layout.
3. The Created and Mod date fields seem to have little effect on timing.

The final answer that I am implementing is:
4. I created a script in FileMaker to create the records and assign the two
keys for each record. I called the script using:
$request->AddDBParam('-script', 'fmScriptName');
Creation of 1064 record takes about 7-10 seconds. I do not know why I did
not try this first.

Thank you everybody for input.

John Funk

>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org