[FX.php List] How different is FX from MySQL

Michael Layne fx at 9degrees.com
Thu Sep 11 11:00:22 MDT 2008

I've spent a lot of time in both as well, and I tend to agree with
Derrick.  With solutions that already exist in FMP, go for it with FX
and get the benefit of PHP, but starting from scratch (and again, if
it's primarily a web-based solution), I would go with MySQL every
time.  As for any learning curve, there is one if you've never written
in SQL, but there are so many examples, tutorials, even frameworks to
help, that your resources are virtually unlimited.

On a more detailed note, you use the FX class and syntax, etc. to
communicate with FM, but once you get your results, what you do in PHP
doesn't have to be wildly different from what you do after getting
your results from a SQL statement... 2 different queries, but I have
one app that uses MySQL for products, and FM for generating orders
with those products, sometimes all in one file.

SQL:
	$q = "SELECT * FROM catalog WHERE vendor = '" . $_SESSION['vid'] .
"'"; // display catalogs to begin product selection
	$r = mysql_query($q,$connection) or die ("Unable to retrieve
information from MySQL server: " . mysql_error());

FX:
	$q = new FX($ip, $port);
	$q->SetDBData($fmdb,$lay);
	$q->AddDBParam('sessionID',session_id()); // grab existing items from
order items table
	$r = $q->FMFind();

RESULTS (FX):
	foreach ($r['data'] as $l) {
		// do something...
	}

RESULTS (MySQL):
	while ($l = mysql_fetch_assoc($r)) {
		// do something...
	}

  HTH,

Michael

Michael Layne  |  9 degrees development  |  9degrees.com  |  skype:laynebay

>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org