[FX.php List] [OFF] Filemaker Web Security?

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 4 18:06:01 MDT 2008

Hi again

This is how the client replied when I asked for more info:
"I keep hearing about "sql injection attacks" being used to
compromise web pages. So I was wondering if Filemaker had a
notification service about updates and / or security issues. It may
be that Filemaker is "flying under the radar" when it comes to
malware writers and there is little reason for concern. Given the
security of the Internet nowadays I would rather be safe than sorry."

It seems that FMI does *not* provide (decipherable) security update
notifications, so I can pass that along to the client.

Investigating "SQL injection attacks" (e.g. <http://www.sitepoint.com/
print/sql-injection-attacks-safe/> ), I'm reminded of Jonathan
Stark's DevCon presentation in which he urged (numerous times) that
we Filter All Data, incl. the use of htmlentities() & strip_tags()...

Do people here do that on *all* submittable fields?   For all FMFind,
FMEdit & FMNew?  Is there some guideline as to when that's more or
less important?  Are there other functions you like to use for this?

Also:

1) Is a site vulnerable to this type attack when using FileMaker
security for logins (internal or Ext Auth w/ AD OD)?  (My guess is
"no" since these aren't fields in a web-accessible database...)

2) When using records w/ username & password fields for logins, would
using the format:
    $login->AddDBParam('UserID','=="'.$_POST['user_name'].'"');
be safe enough to avoid these types of attacks, since FM can't
process additional code like SQL seemingly can
(e.g. the submission of: ' or 1=1 -- ) ?

3) Are there any such risks within FMEdit calls?  Does it matter
whether fields are submitted via radio buttons?

4) The above URL cautions against SQL procedures such as xp_cmdshell
and xp_grantlogin.  Do FileMaker or FX.php (or the API) have any such
dangerous code?

5) Realistically, if a site is hosted locally, has an SSL cert, and
has no links from any external pages, is there much risk of it being
found and thusly hacked?

Thanks,
-Joel