[FX.php List] Web Root Directory - clarifying exactly *which* folder?

Head Honcho headhoncho at customikesolutions.com
Thu Oct 16 23:42:01 MDT 2008

Hi Joel,

The main reason would be if clients had ftp access... then they can
see all the files.  Not a problem for the client, but if someone else
gained access there is a security hole.  If the password files are
outside the document root, then, in theory, noone should have access,
including those with legitimate FTP access.

BTW, the document root is whatever is set in the http.conf file, and
can be changed.  Mine is not in library/webserver/documents... as I
wanted to have a separate drive dedicated to web documents.

Regards

On 17/10/2008, at 12:10 PM, Dale Bengston wrote:

> Seems weird to me, because then you'd need to give the www user
> access to a directory outside the web root, and that creates its own
> security problems.

Regards

Michael Ward
--