[FX.php List] Container Fields: Making Useful Web Links

David Walton dswcore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 15:49:15 MDT 2008

    I read here daily.
    I have a FMP.fp7 file within which students each have numerous records
-- each record containing a Student_ID and a Container field which contains
a document (not a reference).
    Using FX.php, I can easily get the desired array of data for any
particular student and display it on a web page.  Further I can produce <a
href ... > links to the individual files.
    However the links are unsatisfactory because: 1) they give away too much
info (filename, layout, record number, login info), 2)
username:password at site.org........ links don't work without some level of
protest from most browsers (see IE Windows, Firefox on Mac/Win).
    I used image_proxy and vingreEncrypt() several years ago for images and
was satisfied with the encoded URLs.  However, I did not know if it would
work reliably for non-images.
    Does anyone have a successful method for producing secure dynamic links
to files in container fields?
    Also, should I be concerned with content-type headers?
    I would welcome any advice here.  Thank you in advance for any help.

DSW