[FX.php List] [OFF] Making structural changes...?

Steve Winter steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz
Mon Oct 13 13:22:15 MDT 2008

Hi all,

I"m pretty sure that the answer to this is 'no', but I'm going to ask
it anyway...

Recently I've been doing quite a bit of work using MySQL as the back
end, and I love the way you can make structural changes to the
database using PHP, adding tables, fields, changing filed types etc
all 'on the fly'...

Does anybody know of a way to make similar changes in FMP...? I ask as
I have a solution which users subscribe to, and can then also have
customisations done as well. To ensure the customisability (is that a
word...?) I have a separate set of PHP files and a separate database
for each subscriber. This all works great, until I want to add some
new features, then I have to apply the same updated code, and database
changes in many different places. I've been able to script much of the
PHP work, copying files across all installations, but I can't figure a
way to do the database side of it...

Usually these changes involve adding extra tables, and generally
creating new relationships with exiting tables, and often adding a new
field or two here and there in existing tables (it's not a simple
solution ;-)

Any ideas...??

Cheers
Steve