[FX.php List] fx.php website speed issues

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Thu Oct 9 08:19:49 MDT 2008

Dennis,

We host lots of FileMaker-powered websites here (approx. 80-100); some
are very small, some get regular traffic. While there are times when I
see that response is slower than others, I can't say that we *ever*
get timeouts unless a) I've written some goofy code, or b) I'm asking
PHP to do a huge amount of processing that takes a while to complete.

The first thing I would suggest is that you separate your web server
from your FileMaker Server. Your FileMaker Server machine should have
one duty, and one duty only, and that is FileMaker Server. Get a 2nd
machine and put your web server on it, along with the WPE; this shifts
a lot of the load away from FM Server.

If clients are doing FTP transfers, this moves them away from FM
Server as well...

Your user load doesn't sound excessive; we've got a site that gets
1500 site visits a day, and within that visit there are probably 10
queries or other FM transactions that occur; that's just one of the
sites on this particular pair of servers, and it runs very well, day
after day.

A couple of questions: are you doing any IWP from the same server?
What about the other users on the server, are they running long scripts?

I'm about to start a project in the next month, where we're going to
be doing some reports on the web; the plan is to do most of the work
in scripts on the server, and leave PHP to do the charting portion.
After some initial tests by the other consultant on this project, who
is a brilliant guy, he's convinced that we'll get better speed by
doing these particular functions in scripts and not in PHP. So that's
another thing to think about--if you have PHP code that is slowing
things down, it might be worth doing some testing with scripts doing
heavy lifting in select circumstances.

Hope this helps,

bob at longtermsolutions.com
iChat: bobpatin
AIM: longterm1954
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker