[FX.php List] [OFF] Saving a PDF file to a Server

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at mac.com
Wed Oct 8 07:07:43 MDT 2008

On Oct 8, 2008, at 12:37 AM, Roger Moffat wrote:

> I "think" I have it running OK now. Using your hint of Get
> (Temporary Path ) which showed me just exactly what the format of a
> path that FileMaker was expecting to see looked like, I've got the
> Database now writing out the file onto the FM Server machine into a
> folder there (not the temp folder now) and then put an automator
> action onto that folder to copy the file from there to the Mac with
> the Web Publishing Engine and Apache server on it. This seems to work.
>
> (Perhaps with more trial and error I could figure out how to write
> it directly to the Apache server machine assuming it was mounted as
> an afp volume on the FM Server machine) but it's very late now.
>
> I tried the container field suggestion, and that worked too within
> the database, but since I'm actually using BlackBelt for the web
> stuff I couldn't figure out how to get that called as a link on a
> page to see the PDF file.
>
> From one Kiwi (in Michigan) to another
>
> Thanks!!!!!!

Well I spoke too soon - the light of day has revealed why it worked
last night, but now wouldn't work this morning...

It only works if the computer I have the database open in FileMaker
Pro from is also connected to the database server by AFP. If I'm not
connected by FileSharing to the FM Server computer, then I can't write
the PDF file out to that machine.

I can't write it to the temppath since I get told there aren't enough
permissions - that folder us UID 305, and when viewed in the Finder
and is unreadable by the Admin user of the computer.

For the remote Windows users it seems like all they can do is generate
the PDF file and then handle a dialog box that lets them save the PDF
file to THEIR computer.

It seems like such an everyday thing to be able to have the FM Server
generate a PDF file which can then be saved onto that server
automatically, but unless I'm missing something I'm completely stumped.

Roger