[FX.php List] What to tell a customer that wants to use FM IWP vs PHP/FX

John Funk criticalsolution at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 12:04:16 MDT 2008

I have a Customer with a very large, 500+ layout, 50 Table, convoluted,
complex and mostly self made database. He "discovered" Instant Web
Publishing and now he wants to integrate some IWP pages into his solution.
(This is like a kid in a candy store) I have been trying to sell him on the
idea of using traditional html pages with PHP (FX) instead. I have many
reasons why I do not want to go with IWP, but mostly because this customer
is non technical and thinks he can just make his layouts and they will work
just like that.
There are already small parts of the solution that DO use PHP/FX. In the big
picture I am working on him to let me rewrite the entire FM solution.

I am looking for bullet points that tell the reasons NOT to use IWP vs
html/php/fx. If there are good reasons to go with IWP, list them also.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

John Funk
Critical Solution