[FX.php List] filemaker script error catch

Alex Gates alex at gandrpublishing.com
Fri May 30 09:42:14 MDT 2008

Thanks ggt and Joel -

The script does set a field from 0 to 1 on each record... so I do a
simple query for 0... if I have a foundcount !=0, then obviously my
script failed.

Thanks for the help!

Joel Shapiro wrote:
 > Hey Alex
 >
 > Could you have the FM script set a global to Get(LastError) -- and
then ExitScript if != 0 -- at places it might fail, and then check the
global in the PHP?  Don't know if it would work... just a thought.

 > As to "not advised"...  That's what I'd always understood but I
emailed with Lance Hallberg about this last year, and he replied:

 >> ...certainly depends on what the FileMaker script is doing and what
PHP can do...

 >> FM scripts can be a big load on the server, but in most cases no
bigger that executing those actions from php.

 >> For example try running a script from the web which creates 40,000
records.  Now try to do this by purely using PHP.  Notice which one is
faster.

 >> Consider running batch scripts... such as de-duping... on a large
set of records.  Large inserts or number crunching scripts will always
perform better then FM Script execution than by PHP loops.  Certainly
this is mostly due to the need for multiple database transactions... to
the nth degree.

 >> While the create 40,000 records script is running you can also run
PHP scripts which perform finds, add & delete records.  You can even
execute more FM scripts from php while the previously executed script is
still running.  The notion that the WPE is 'holding back other queries
until done running the script' is completely wrong.  I'm not sure how
that ended up on the thread but it could be just dated facts; perhaps
that was an issue with FM 6?

 >> The huge (and unexploited) advantage to running scripts is the
notion of being able to re-use FM logic that already exists.  Also,
consider an FM solution using multiple users and access priv's in the
deployment model.  Allowing some to access the layout used for the
script or even the script themselves, is a great way to disperse
application control without leaving the FM environment or giving access
to your PHP code.  Make sense?

 > I still generally try to do most processing in the PHP, but good food
for thought.

 > -Joel
 >

 > On May 29, 2008, at 7:46 PM, Alex Gates wrote:
 >
 >> I know it is not advised to trigger a FM script using fx.php, but I
was wondering if there is a way to catch the error if something goes wrong.