[FX.php List] Split-hosting question

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Sun May 25 09:57:55 MDT 2008

Hi Bill,

There are several considerations that will affect how this setup would
work; if I understand correctly, your client would run FM Server 9 in
their office, and the web server would be running at a colocation
facility.

The speed of the client's Internet connection will have everything to
do with how this works; since every web app function will require
talking to a machine in another location, you may find that it's a
little sluggish in searches.

I installed a web app for a client, who wanted to use his existing
setup (as your client does), and helped him to configure his local
network. When we swapped out his 10/100 switches for gigabit switches,
we noticed an immediate improvement in the speed of the web app; this
was a clear indication of how much difference it makes when you have a
fast connection between the FileMaker Server and the web server.

[INCOMING SHAMELESS PLUG] Of course if your client should decide the
speed isn't sufficient, we would be glad to host the solution for him/
her. :)

Best,

bob at longtermsolutions.com
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions
      MSN: tech at longtermsolutions.com
      ICQ: 159333060

Contact us for FileMaker hosting and programming for all versions of
FileMaker
PHP • CDML • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation •
Consulting