[FX.php List] [Off] Help with .htaccess RewriteRule or Redirect

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at aol.com
Fri Mar 21 20:07:13 MDT 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 7:52 PM, Troy Meyers wrote:

> Maybe it's not the right RewriteRule, or maybe SpeakEasy needs to
> enable rewrite for me. Or maybe the permissions are wrong.
>
> Any thoughs?

 From what you've said, SpeakEasy (who happens to be my ISP, with my
servers running over one of their 6 MBit DSL lines into my house) have
their end in order to allow .htaccess to be used.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/rewrite/rewrite_intro.html

might get you started with explaining the syntax that's needed.

If you put the .htaccess into the flasking directory on www.troymeyers.com
  then that would mean the rewrite would only be working on requests
that have made it to that directory.

So you might do something like this example from the page referenced
above

RewriteRule ^/product/(.*)/view$ /var/web/productdb/$1
The variable $1 will be replaced with whatever text was matched by the
expression inside the parenthesis in the Pattern. For example, a
request for http://example.com/product/r14df/view will be mapped to
the path /var/web/productdb/r14df

for example

RewriteRule ^/flasking/(.*) http://lab.troymeyers.com/flasking/$1