[FX.php List] PHP File Permissions

Tim 'Webko' Booth tim at nicheit.com.au
Wed Mar 19 18:09:02 MDT 2008

> In my case, I exclusively use BBEdit to open and edit the files
> while they are still on the OS X Server.  That would mean that WRITE
> would have to be available, right?  The question is, what should the
> OWNER and GROUP be?  Is the GROUP "admin", as it is on my vanilla OS
> X Server?

Owner will be whatever user you are logged to the server as. Should
have r/w

Group should be set based on the login as well, depending on what
groups you are in. If permissions are set correctly, this will be the
same group as the one that is the group owner for the directory.
Should have r/w, as this allows other users in the same group to also
edit the files if required.

Other should be read only - you (in general) do not want the world to
be able to write to any web directory. The exception may be an upload
directory, and that should be tightly controlled as to the types of
files that are allowed (ie, make sure that they are not executables or
scripts)

> Another intriguing question...Unbix permissions go "READ WRITE
> EXECUTE.  Where is the EXECUTE in the Mac READ/WRITE., READONLY,NONE
> set up?

Execute is assumed for Mac directories, and has little meaning for
files in general - reading them is usually enough to 'execute' the
scripts etc...

If you log to your machine with an ftp client OTOH, you can set the x
if you wish - Server does accept that via FTP

Rough rule on a well  setup server...

files 664 = rw rw r
directories 775 = rwx rwx r x

Cheers