[FX.php List] PHP File Permissions

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Mar 19 12:52:18 MDT 2008

On Mar 19, 2008, at 1:22 PM, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:

> Check to see what the permissions might chnage to once you move the
> files to your local machine.  They would have to chnage in order to
> edit.

Yes, on my local machine I have r/w, others read-only.

> In my case, I exclusively use BBEdit to open and edit the files
> while they are still on the OS X Server.  That would mean that WRITE
> would have to be available, right?  The question is, what should the
> OWNER and GROUP be?  Is the GROUP "admin", as it is on my vanilla OS
> X Server?

I use Dreamweaver, so somehow, between my OS X Server and my dev.
machine, the permission changes on the OWNER to r/w. Perhaps the Mac
automatically gives r/w to the user if he's the admin of the machine?

Here's another interesting tidbit: I looked at a random document in my
users/Documents folder, and it was set to r/w across the board. So...
that makes me think that OS X Server is smart enough to make all files
read-only while they're in the proper place on the server.

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions