[FX.php List] filemaker script error catch

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Sun Jun 1 16:42:00 MDT 2008

On 31/05/08 1:28 AM, "Joel Shapiro" <jsfmp at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hey Alex
>
> Could you have the FM script set a global to Get(LastError) -- and
> then ExitScript if != 0 -- at places it might fail, and then check
> the global in the PHP?  Don't know if it would work... just a thought.
>
> As to "not advised"...  That's what I'd always understood but I
> emailed with Lance Hallberg about this last year, and he replied:
>
>> ...certainly depends on what the FileMaker script is doing and what
>> PHP can do...
>>
>> FM scripts can be a big load on the server, but in most cases no
>> bigger that executing those actions from php.
>>
>> For example try running a script from the web which creates 40,000
>> records.  Now try to do this by purely using PHP.  Notice which one
>> is faster.
>>
>> Consider running batch scripts... such as de-duping... on a large
>> set of records.  Large inserts or number crunching scripts will
>> always perform better then FM Script execution than by PHP loops.
>> Certainly this is mostly due to the need for multiple database
>> transactions... to the nth degree.
>>
>> While the create 40,000 records script is running you can also run
>> PHP scripts which perform finds, add & delete records.  You can
>> even execute more FM scripts from php while the previously executed
>> script is still running.  The notion that the WPE is 'holding back
>> other queries until done running the script' is completely wrong.
>> I'm not sure how that ended up on the thread but it could be just
>> dated facts; perhaps that was an issue with FM 6?

That particular piece of info is very interesting. I'm assuming that Lance
has inside info on how WPE works? Either way, it sounds like most of the
reasons for not running scripts from PHP went away with FM 6.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College

by MailMarshal

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. You must not disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies. The College does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the College.