[FX.php List] AJAX Big Picture

Dale Bengston dbengston at tds.net
Thu Jul 24 11:26:50 MDT 2008

Hi David,

I learned the concepts of AJAX from this tutorial on Apple's web site:
http://developer.apple.com/internet/webcontent/xmlhttpreq.html

The gist of it is, you're using JavaScript to formulate urls/queries
to your web server which pass in behind the scenes, without reloading
the current page. The target URL, in our world, would be a php file
that knows what to do with the parameters it receives in the URL, just
as a traditional link or form submit would send $_REQUEST data to
another page. Our php page would then return some amount of
information back to JavaScript, and the JavaScript would know what to
do with it: redraw part of the page, update a status, change a color,
etc.

The biggest differences in using ajax are (in my opinion) user
experience and interface issues. If your users are in the habit of
seeing a page redraw when they submit a form or click a link, you have
to manage new expectations.

Once you start sending and receiving data with AJAX, it will alter
your brain forever. You will go through a phase where you will want to
do everything with AJAX, but eventually this wears off and you'll find
a balance between traditional HTTP requests and AJAX requests.

We currently use Prototype/Scriptaculous for our AJAX stuff. Others
use JQuery. There's also Lajax, Lance Hallberg's libraries, which are
closely tied to FX since he's a FileMaker developer. (Might be a good
place to start.) I also have a serious eye on Adobe's new Spry
libraries.

Which one's right for you? It depends. Most of the time it comes down
to how it "feels" to use the code, how well it's documented - extra
important as you're starting out, and whether it all works on the
platforms and browsers you support. (Unfortunately, I have not been
able to get Bob Patin to lend me his new iPhone for six or seven
months so I can test our AJAX stuff there!)

Give yourself ample time for experimentation, and be prepared to toss
one AJAX library out and try another if it doesn't feel right.

Also, we have found Firefox with the Firebug plug-in to be very
helpful in debugging AJAX calls. I don't know how I ever got along
without it! We use Macs; I don't know if there's a PC version of that
plugin as well.

I hope this helps. Sorry it's all over the place.

Dale

  --
Dale Bengston
Partner, The Whole Brain Group, LLC