[FX.php List] best way to search a lot of fields on a lot of records

Alex Gates alex at gandrpublishing.com
Sat Jan 26 14:39:35 MST 2008

Thanks GGT -
I've been meaning to figure out how to work with the portal for quite
some time - the relationship for the account number is a no brainer -
sure beats sifting through all those records.
I managed to get it working - and its perfect -

Thanks ggt and dale for your input -

Alex

Gjermund Gusland Thorsen wrote:
> I would try to build a solution that uses relationship for user's
> account number.
>
> 2008/1/26, Dale Bengston <dbengston at preservationstudio.com>:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> Another way to go would be to perform queries on user account number +
>> each of the other fields, and then combine the returned data arrays
>> prior to display. This way, you're only bringing back as many records
>> as you'll display. In other circumstances, I often use the approach
>> you mentioned.
>>
>> Dale
>>

>> On Jan 25, 2008, at 9:56 PM, Alex Gates wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone -
>>>
>>> I'm looking for some feedback regarding the best way to search a lot
>>> of fields (5 or so - some of them pretty long text fields) on a lot
>>> of records (90,000+ and growing) -
>>>
>>> To complicate things a, I need to make sure I only bring back
>>> records from the user's account number.
>>>
>>> My first instinct would be to:
>>>
>>> When a search is performed on the website, query FM and return all
>>> the records for the account number - then search that array and
>>> build an array with rec id and the title field of records that match
>>> the query.
>>>
>>> Would you say this is the best way to do this?
>>> I honestly can't think of any other way.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help,
>>>
>>> Alex
>>> FX.php_List mailing list
>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org