[FX.php List] Adding Libraries to FileMaker's Supplied PHP5 Environment

Kevin M. Cunningham kcunning at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 21 16:39:42 MST 2008

Hi all,

I've learned so much from this list, thank you all!

Now a quick question.

While I have happily learned many new techniques using PHP, I have
been spoiled by always having the overall PHP environment given to me
without my intervention. First it was Apple's 4.3 build. Now I have
the PHP5 version installed by FileMaker on my webserver.

Recently I have been going beyond classes like FX.php and the FM API
for PHP and looking at actual libraries (e.g., graphics libraries,
particularly the GD library). The instructions for using these
libraries typically say to recompile PHP and include the library in
the initial build line, because these libraries actually add core
functionality to PHP, they don't just simplify things by creating
tidy code blocks.

Now, since I never compiled PHP myself -- FileMaker's version of
PHP5, for instance, just magically appeared -- I'm not sure how I
should go about rebuilding the library -- or even if it's necessary.

So, say I wanted to add the GD library to my FileMaker installation.
What would I need to do? Is there a way to add it without rebuilding
the whole thing? If I have to rebuild, will that put me out of sync
with FileMaker's builds? And what is the rebuild command (does
FileMaker provide source, or would I have to take over the whole PHP5
build myself)? If I don't have to rebuild, how do I go about it?

Lots of questions, but of course I'm only driving at one core
question: how do I go about adding PHP libraries to my PHP
environment, yet stay in sync with FileMaker's provided environment
(if that's even possible)?

Thanks very much!

--Kevin
--
Kevin M. Cunningham, M.Ed.
FileMaker 7/8 Certified Developer | FileMaker TechNet/FBA Member