[FX.php List] Lesson learned about password values

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Fri Jan 11 10:11:36 MST 2008

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to track down the source of unauthorized emails going
through my mail server.  The problem is, when I first started using
PHPMailer, I used a hard-coded Username and Password.  Guess what?  I
now need to locate and edit every script in every project that
contains that password pair.

If I had used a variable and stored it into a centrally-located
include file, the change would have been made just once...or at least
once per project.

Is server_data the right place?  If so, then that would require a
change in every solution/project. Otherwise, where would one store a
single server_data file that feeds all solutions?  I've heard
discussion about not storing the server data on the same machine,
also.

Thx

Jonathan

--