[FX.php List] [OFF] This is gonna sound dumb

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Wed Jan 9 08:09:35 MST 2008

Well, I was thinking that there is more to it than that.

Aside from the server name, there is also the Reverse DNS Name.  I'm
not sure that I want to broadcast to the world what machines are used
for, such as production.mydomain.com. Also, what happens when you
have multiples of the same function?

So, for each machine, there are multiple "ID's" to track:
	- Physical machine (CPU/MAC Address)
	- Physical machine's name (I have labels on my colo machines
that are now out of sync).
	- IP address
	- Domain Name for the IP
	- Reverse DNS Name
	- Server Name (in the OS)
	- What the machine is used for (FMP Server, Mail server, Web
server, etc)

One suggestion I've heard is to use nonsensical labels, such as pet
names, city names, etc. Then, the name doesn't tie the machine to a
particular function.  This is similar to the convention used for
creating FMP key fields: Existent, Persistent, Unique and
Meaningless.  (There's a fifth, but I forget what that is).

One thing I have learned/realized...not to think of the "server name"
and the machine as the same thing.  Future physical machines
might/will replace current machines, but the function of the machine
stays the same.

I thought that this might be applicable to fx.php developers,
especially since FMP best practices recommends multiple machines for
Web applications.

After creating the list above for illustrative purposes, I think that
the best solution is to create a reference chart to keep score,
keeping Domain and Name and RDNS Name permanent, with everything else
variable.

Sorry/Thanks for letting me have this thinking-out-loud process.
It's harder than it appears.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Schwartz