[FX.php List] Planning ahead for inactive processes

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Mon Feb 25 09:08:56 MST 2008

Joel,

It's not the hits I'm concerned about.

It's the ability for users to access outdated pages from retired or
temporarily retired processes, while the rest of the pages stay
active.  That same process might be turned on again in 6 months,
depending on customer need, so removal is not the answer.

An example: a blank email confirmation for an event that was held
last year arrived over the weekend.  A bot must have hit the page.
In this case, I needed to add a session handler that refused access
to the page if the required conditions were not met: referring page,
session, or data-related.

As I have found, closing the "front door" isn't a great solution
either, as folks bookmark pages and bots scour the entire site.

Steve offered some great suggestions. I'm going to start using one of them.

Jonathan