[FX.php List] Cookie issue

Leo R. Lundgren leo at finalresort.org
Fri Feb 22 11:00:17 MST 2008

22 feb 2008 kl. 18.54 skrev Bob Patin:

> I just re-read your post; it sounds like you might be saying that
> the URL would only contain the sessionID. If that's the case
> though, then where are all these 20 variables actually stored
> during the session?
>
> Time to go read the page on the PHP.net site...
>
> BP
>

> On Feb 22, 2008, at 11:43 AM, Leo R. Lundgren wrote:
>

>> I use the standard session setup with cookies. But it's also
>> possible to keep the session id (which is the piece of information
>> that is stored in a session cookie) floating along in links. Check
>> the PHP manual under the session part and you'll see some examples.

Yeah, this is correct. Sessions in PHP are a mechanism to store
persistent data across visits. Where this data is stored is subject
to the developer, but the standard place is in session files on the
server. One can also store it in a databaase or write a custom
storage handler for it. But usually, when the session ends the
session data is written to the session file on the server, and when
the session starts the data is read from the session file and then
available in $_SESSION. The only thing that's passes around to the
client and back is the session id, regardless if you use cookies or
the urls to pass the session id.

But yeah, it's pretty well explained in the manual.

-|