[FX.php List] [OFF] Solution for occasional outage....Redux

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Wed Feb 13 21:00:01 MST 2008

Hi Folks,

My colocation facility went off line again today for about 20
minutes. Last time, it was in November.  Both times, the cause was
reported as a "blown fuse" on a power distribution strip.

When my servers go dark, I lose my whole operation: web, mail and
FileMaker serving .

Do others experience outages like this, for this reason or any other
reason?  Does anyone have redundant servers at a different location?
I'm willing to consider this route, but the expense seems very high
for a load balancing type of set up.

Alternatively, I could fire up a server here at my office, but that
best case, the data would  be a day old  ...and I would have to
redirect DNS to the new IP for each domain.  It would longer to do
that than it takes the outage to resolve itself.  The, I'd have to
switch it back.

I could use some seasoned advise.

Thanks.

Jonathan