[FX.php List] How much traffic can it take?

Steve Winter steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz
Mon Feb 4 11:16:00 MST 2008

Hi Jamie,

To be honest, I'd doubt it. especially if you've got multiple auctions all
ending at the same time.

Even if you separate your web-server from your filemaker server, optimise
your code down as far as possible, minimise the number of calls to the
database (and do extra post-processing by PHP), etc, the single threaded
nature of the XML interface will likely as not still be your undoing.

I built a solution a while back which always had 10 simultaneous users,
doing lots of different things, requiring lots of hits on the db. I had FMS
running on one machine, Apache on another, all delivered over a 54Mb
wireless LAN and there were still times when there were visible delays in
getting data to users.

If I were looking to do something like this I'd be inclined to look at ways
to integrate a MySQL database for the site, with the live inventory data
to/from FileMaker.

YMWV (your millage will vary ;-)

Cheers

Steve