[FX.php List] Error reporting in PHP

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Fri Dec 12 12:03:30 MST 2008

I'm a friend of yours. How much wisdom could I have . ;-)

Suppressing errors on the whole server would affect all solutions.
Perhaps you want errors on solutions in development or debug mode.
In my opinion, better to suppress on the page or in a solution wide
include file.

BTW, ON is either "1" or "On" or "True". OFF is either ")" or "OFF" or "False"

Depends on the your server.

At 12:53 PM -0600 12/12/08, Bob Patin wrote:
>You are a man of wisdom. :)
>
>So I can either change the PHP.ini setting to ON or else use
>
>ini_set ('display_errors',1);
>
>is that right?
>
>Thanks,
>
>BP
>

>On Dec 12, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:
>
>>Hiya Bob,
>>
>>The 'display_errors' setting determines if any errors get displayed at all.
>>
>>The 'error_reporting' setting determines the level of errors that
>>get displayed.
>>
>>The following displays errors, but not "Notices".
>>ini_set ('display_errors',1);
>>error_reporting (E_ALL & ~ E_NOTICE);
>>
>>HTH

>>At 12:35 PM -0600 12/12/08, Bob Patin wrote:
>>
>>>One of my clients is asking if I have errors supressed on one of
>>>my web servers, and in looking at PHPINFO, I'm not sure which
>>>variable I need to check for this.
>>>

>>>Could someone tell me what variable I should be looking at for
>>>supression of PHP errors, and also, what setting I *should* be
>>>using in order NOT to supress PHP errors?
>>>

>>>Thanks,
>>>

>>>Bob Patin
>>>
>>>Longterm Solutions LLC
>>>
>>><mailto:bob at longtermsolutions.com>bob at longtermsolutions.com
>>>
>>>615-333-6858
>>>
>>><http://www.longtermsolutions.com>http://www.longtermsolutions.com
>>>
>>>iChat/AIM: bobpatin
>>>
>>>FileMaker 9 Certified Developer
>>>
>>>Member of FileMaker Business Alliance
>>>
>>>--------------------------
>>>
>>>FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker
>>>
>>>PHP * Full email services * Free DNS hosting * Colocation * Consulting

>>--
>>Jonathan Schwartz
>>Exit 445 Group
>><mailto:jonathan at exit445.com>jonathan at exit445.com