[FX.php List] [OFF] Getting visitor's IP

Leo R. Lundgren leo at finalresort.org
Fri Aug 22 15:41:39 MDT 2008

The ?: is more of an operator. See the manual :)

I use strlen() to check if there's any data in the first key. If
there is, use it, otherwise use the other key. As I've mentioned
before I've come to the conclusion that it's not notably slower than
using isset() (which would return TRUE for a var that is set, even if
it doesn't contain any data).

For the perfectionist, note that there is no need to have the
surrounding () in the expression. I just use it for readability. In
actuality, I think it's technically faster to leave them out. But
unless you know that you need to remove them, it's not an issue. Just
mentioning it to lay off the one whould point it out otherwise :P

22 aug 2008 kl. 23.32 skrev Jonathan Schwartz:

> Interesting.  What function is that?  Also, what purpose does
> strlen provide to the function?
>
> Thx
>
>> I'm sorry, I haven't followed this thread almost at all, honestly.
>> But reading the below quote makes me think that someone is
>> wondering whether to use REMOTE_ADDR or HTTP_PC_REMOTE_ADDR.
>>
>> If so, here's my suggestion:  $remoteHost = (strlen($_SERVER
>> ['HTTP_PC_REMOTE_ADDR']) ? $_SERVER['HTTP_PC_REMOTE_ADDR'] :
>> $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);
>>
>> I'm probably so off track here :-)
>>

>> 22 aug 2008 kl. 18.01 skrev Jonathan Schwartz:
>>
>>> Kevin,
>>>
>>> Are you sure that it is OS X Server making the change?  I admit
>>> that I never spent the time trying to nail down the source, but I
>>> assumed that it was the PHP version or web server.  I have always
>>> used OS X Server 10.4, yet have had to fiddle with the setting
>>> just the same.
>>>
>>> Jonathan

>>> --
>>> Jonathan Schwartz