[FX.php List] RE: multiple copies of database to balance the load?

Jamie Adams jamie at liquis.com
Wed Aug 20 08:04:16 MDT 2008

I wouldn't expect multiple databases on the same server to help much.  A
query is a query, regardless of which file it goes to.  On the other
hand, if Database1 lived on Server1, and Database2 lived on Server2,
then they should be able to process queries twice as fast.  However,
syncing the data back again could prove difficult, and might eat up your
performance gains.  That depends on what sort of data you're dealing with.

Have you looked at FXNeoCache? http://www.neocodesoftware.com/fx_neocache/

I haven't used it myself, but I've read good things about it, and the
principle seems very sound.  Of course, I don't think it would help with
creating records.  When your users create records, do they need to
interact with them immediately?  Could you cache the creation queries
and run them as a batch overnight?

I guess you really need to find the bottleneck before you can figure out
how to eliminate it.  It's probably not the PHP side of the equation.
That side's usually pretty fast.  In my setup, the slow points seem to
be the FileMaker server that processes the request, and that server's
Internet connection.  While my PHP web server resides at a hosting
company that has a ridiculously fast Internet pipe, my FileMaker server
is here at the office, sharing a T1 with 20 employees and everything
else you'd expect.  It's adequate for our implementation, but I know
when I tried to serve FileMaker to FX.php from a branch office with even
less bandwidth, it choked hard.

As for the server itself, adding more RAM never hurt anyone who
remembered to turn the machine off first.

Again, haven't used this myself, but it's something I figured I would
try if I found myself in a similar situation.  FMWebSchool runs a
FileMaker hosting service called FMGateway (http://www.FMGateway.com).
If your FileMaker server is at your office like mine, and starving for
bandwidth, these guys might be able to feed it more cost-effectively
than running a bigger pipe to the office.

--
Jamie Adams

Liquis, Inc.

400 Parker Drive, Suite 1110, Austin, TX 78728
phone 512.299.9634, ext 103 -- fax 512.873.0575

www.liquis.com <http://www.liquis.com/>
www.auctionpartner.com <http://www.auctionpartner.com/>
www.furniture-partner.com <http://www.furniture-partner.com/>
http://stores.ebay.com/Auction-Partner-High-Tech-Equipment