[FX.php List][OFF] posting an email address

Roger Price rp272 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 14:53:12 MDT 2008

Andrew

Yes, I followed Gjermund's suggestion of setting the email field to unicode, which seems to have fixed the problem.

I have subsequently read with interest the plethora of debate that my simple query seems to have generated. Not least my careless use of the term 'primary key', so erhaps this might stimulate some more.

I may lose a few friends here when I say that Filemaker of course cannot be considered a 'true' relational database because it does not make the setting of a 'primary key' mandatory (among other things).

Don't get me wrong FileMaker is still the database I use from choice for its ease and quickness of development. A FileMaker database can be configured to simulate a 'primary key' by requiring unique values but this is not enforced. Of course it can be a positive advantage to relax the rules regarding 'foreign' keys for example which are supposed to only exist if they refer to a primary key in another table! The configuration of a portal may display records where a related key is found in an associated table (or using a self-join)and show nothing if the required value cannot be found. I don't think that this would be possible with an SQL database.

Filemaker of course does use a primary key (recid) but this is not user defined or controlled. It is this key that FX.php uses to uniquely identify a record that is to be edited or deleted. However that is not quite the same thing.

What does the group think?

Roger