[FX.php List] PHP/FX vs. Lasso

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Apr 16 08:27:50 MDT 2008

Having just converted a fairly large project from Lasso to FX.php, I
got the chance to see again how I used to write sites when I used CDML
(which was just a subset of Lasso).

A few immediate thoughts come to mind:

1. My pages are easier to edit in Dreamweaver (yes, I still use
Dreamweaver), because it inserts nice PHP symbols wherever I insert
PHP into my HTML code. Not so with Lasso. A cosmetic thing, but an
important one when working on a complex page.

2. The wealth of PHP routines that are available on the web is
staggering; there are somewhere around 3000 available functions for
PHP, all available by scratching around on the web, not to mention the
excellent sources of PHP info--php.net being my favorite.

3. Portability. If something should happen to you, there are thousands
of PHP developers who could pick up the project and work on it,
although FX.php does require a bit of prior knowledge...

I still host a dozen or so CDML sites, and eventually I'll get these
clients to convert to PHP; the thought of having to go back into that
type of coding sends shivers down my spine!

bob at longtermsolutions.com
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions
      MSN: tech at longtermsolutions.com
      ICQ: 159333060

Contact us for FileMaker hosting and programming for all versions of
FileMaker
PHP • CDML • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation •
Consulting