[FX.php List] posting an email address

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue Apr 15 15:47:40 MDT 2008

As with every web app that I see, I use the email address and a
password for clients to login (unless my client insists on using
usernames).

If the people who log into the system change their email address, then
they will hopefully be smart enough to login using their old email
address, and then change their email as it's stored in the system.

I would *never* use an email address, name, or company as the primary
key; I have a client whose database was originally written that way,
and it's been nothing but trouble for her, which is why she eventually
found her way to me.

However, for logging in, I find that email addresses work well for
usernames; I see the same method on most of the large sites I use on a
regular basis, like Amazon.

The problem with using usernames instead of email addresses is that
many people (myself included) might forget their usernames, but they
won't forget their own email addresses.

I also write password-retrieval routines on all these web apps as
well, so the users can retrieve their passwords if they forget them.

bob at longtermsolutions.com
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions
      MSN: tech at longtermsolutions.com
      ICQ: 159333060

Contact us for FileMaker hosting and programming for all versions of
FileMaker
PHP • CDML • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation •
Consulting