[FX.php List] Portals in fx.php versus API

Chris Hansen chris at iViking.org
Mon Apr 14 12:02:20 MDT 2008

Jonathan,

1) FX.php DOES support editing multiple portals simultaneously.
Simply append a . (period) followed by the portal record's RecordID to
the name of each field in the portal.  You will still need to pass in
the RecordID of the parent record (just as you would for any other
edit) so that FileMaker knows to which parent the specified children
belong.  Note that you can only create one portal record at a time by
appending a .0 to the name of each field in the portal to be set.  For
example, to edit the first and last names of two portal records with
RecordIDs of 22 and 9:

$query->SetDBData('Contacts::First_Name.22', 'Bob');
$query->SetDBData('Contacts::Last_Name.22', 'Smith');
$query->SetDBData('Contacts::First_Name.9', 'Raul');
$query->SetDBData('Contacts::Last_Name.9', 'Espinoza');

2) Since the FileMaker API for PHP also uses FileMaker's XML interface
for communicating with FileMaker, it also supports editing multiple
records in a portal at once, but of course the syntax is different.

HTH

--Chris