[FX.php List] [OFF] API Equivalent for Grabbing RECID

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Thu Apr 3 10:14:18 MDT 2008

> Hmm, is it just me,

Yep, I think it's just you... :)

> or where do you find arguments for using FileMaker
> PHP API when you already know FX.php?

Here are 6 that come to mind (all of these have happened to me):

a) Client requests it because he's also a programmer and wants to
modify it later on
b) Client *thinks* he may want to add to it later on and plans to
learn the API
c) Client is convinced that the API is the way of the future and
therefore asks if I can write the web app in the API
d) Client gives no reason whatsoever, just says, "Do you know how to
write using the FM API?"
e) Client is also a FM consultant (in my case, he's a FM 9 Certified
Developer) who is just now learning the API, and wants me to
collaborate on a very large project that we'll be starting next month;
he wants to use the API
f) FileMaker, Inc. has put a lot of time and expense into its
development, so I don't think it's going away anytime soon. I want to
be able to use any of the new things they introduce that are based
around the API.

When it comes down to it, there are 2 basic ways to look at this: do
you want the client's money, or not?

Since the answer is yes, I come to the next question: does the API
provide a decent product? Again, the answer is yes.

In my hosting company, I've had people who wanted to put a Lasso site
here; in the past, I hosted Lasso, and in order to do that, I bought
the necessary software so that I could "be all things to all people."
If they want mailing list capabilities, I can provide it, because

In the music business, as a studio musician keyboard player, I'm
expected to not only play piano, but to have synths with me so that if
the client wants organ, or strings, or electric piano, I can swivel on
the piano bench and play a part on a synthesizer. Sure, I could say,
"No, I only play piano," since piano is my favorite keyboard, but I'd
miss some great opportunities to record on some projects.

Long answer, but that's why I learned the API.

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions
      MSN: tech at longtermsolutions.com
      ICQ: 159333060

Contact us for FileMaker hosting and programming for all versions of
FileMaker
PHP • CDML • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation •
Consulting