[FX.php List] [OT] (mostly) CTRL-N in browser

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 11 09:51:57 MDT 2007

Sounds great, Steve.

Does the school project you mention below need to do much/any
printing?  That so far has been my biggest anchor to FMP
functionality... especially batch printing.

I've been thinking a lot lately about when to use the web instead of
FMP.  If I can step onto your soapbox for just a minute... One of my
first thoughts after I first discovered the wonders of PHP was "why
can't FMP layouts be dynamic?"  I don't know other DB apps or web
backends to compare w/ FM, but I do agree that moving web-wards is
the way things are going.  There was a big discussion going around
recently on another list about the future of the FileMaker product
line and how much will be Developer-focused vs End-User-focused.  It
seems to me that a lot of the Developer-level tools that people are
asking for are already available in PHP/JavaScript/CSS/AJAX, but so
many developers seem reluctant to leave their comfortable FM-only
world.  I know that others on this list have said they rarely develop
FMP front-ends for their projects, but still stick with FM as their
backend.  I think that's real interesting, and expect (hope?) that FM
will become more of a web/desktop hybrid platform over time (and not
just simulating web-like features in a desktop app).

Have a good holiday, and I'd love to see your 'proof-of-concept' if
you get around to it.

Best,
-Joel

p.s. You're aware that starting with FM9, your schools will only need
FMS not FMSA for XML web publishing, right?

>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org

>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org