[FX.php List] FM Scripts vs. PHP

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 24 12:29:30 MDT 2007

Hi all

Looking for people's thoughts and experiences here.

In the FM PHP API webinar a couple weeks ago, Lance pushed the idea
of running FM scripts from the PHP.

I know some people on this list have often said that it's preferable
to do everything in PHP if possible.  Now I'm wondering why.  Have
you seen degraded performance when running FM scripts?  Have you seen
instability?  Are you PHP purists?  Do you know something that others
don't know?

I asked Lance about how running FM scripts would affect performance,
and he said running FM scripts is often no bigger a load on the
server than processing solely through PHP, and that sometimes it can
be faster.

Also, I had understood from this group (perhaps mistakenly) that the
server puts other incoming hits 'on hold' while processing FM
scripts, but Lance said that in fact you can even run additional FM
scripts while one FM script is still executing.

Does whether or not the WPE is on the same machine as FMServer make
any difference here?

Anybody have an opinion? ;-)

TIA,
-Joel