[FX.php List] Ajax & server load?

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 12 12:34:10 MDT 2007

Hi all

I'd love your feedback on how my intended use of Ajax might affect
server load & performance:

  - A <table> with 24 cells (4x6)
  - Each cell has 2-15 links (120-150 total) that onMouseOver call to
the DB for record details (as a tooltip)
  - Each link when clicked edits the DB and reloads the respective
cell via Ajax

Basically, this is for users to select one option in each cell.
Mousing over any option shows details.  Clicking an option edits a
record in FM via Ajax.  I like the idea that changes are instant and
the user doesn't need to click a Submit button for the whole page.
And I like that this way I can do various checks on each selection
before editing the record, e.g. to make sure that option hasn't
already been selected in another cell.

However, I'm wondering if all these small hits to the DB will be a
problem when more than a few users are using the site at once.

  - Probably not more than 30 or so users at a time, but in theory
could be more (but not 100s)
  - 1-machine configuration (FMSA(8) & WPE), running on a new Mac
Mini (not sure of the RAM)

Do you think this setup will be too slow in production?

If so, would it help much to move the record details that display on
mouseOver into static content, since they won't be changing often in
the DB?  Or is a hit to the server pretty much the same whether to
the DB or to static content?  (& what would be the best way to make
static content?  Bring those 100+ records into one large php array
and grab each via a GET?  Create 100+ php pages on the server?
Other...?)

Or do you think a Web 1.0 site with radio buttons and a Submit Whole
Page button is preferable? (yuck)

All thoughts much appreciated.

TIA,
-Joel