[FX.php List]One FMP DB Multiple Web Servers

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Thu Oct 11 08:39:06 MDT 2007

Hi Gerry,

I think you need to balance the risk of corruption with the ongoing
task of synching separate databases and consolidation of the
documents being managed from two sources. In my personal experience
(and I can only speak for myself), corruption has never been an issue
with data coming from the web. In fact, I believe it's much easier to
filter and "clean" user input via the web than it is client-server.
If all your data is coming from the web already, and this is just a
matter of whether it comes from inside the firewall or outside, then
the risk of data corruption is the same either way.

I would suggest an alternative to duplicating and synching for your
external users. I'm guessing the external population may have reduced
access to your system, or it may make sense to restrict what they can
get to. You could create a new database file, and create
relationships from this basically-empty file to your main databases.
Then you can use this new file to "filter" what is available to
external web users,. The web-enabled database file would have no data
itself; only relationships to the other files you want to expose
outside the firewall.

Hope this helps,
Dale

Dale Bengston | Streamline Studio, LLC | dbengston at streamline-studio.com