[FX.php List] [OFF] How does the List function work?

William Downs william.downs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 13:35:55 MST 2007

Hi Carl

You could use the following - if it's unique values that you are after.

1st, create a value list and use this FIELD_IN_QUESTION in the value
list to grab all unique values - then, in the second table, use the
ValueListItems function in a calculation field (unstored) and use the
aforementioned value list to display these values in a carriage
returned list - use the substitute function to swap our carriage
returns with commas.

Clear,

Cheers

William

On 11/27/07, Carl Anderson <Carl.Anderson at asu.edu> wrote:
> Good day, list:
>
> I'm trying to get the contents of a single field across all records in a
> layout, and put those values into a list in a single field in a different
> table.  In other words, the field on all records is "exam1" and I want the
> "exam1rawscores" field in a separate layout to be something like this:
>
> 10,9,9,5,10,3,1,10,6,7,8,2
>
> Heck, the commas aren't even important--I'd be fine with the carriage
> returns that (I believe) List() delivers.
>
> Which leads to my question: How can I get List() to do what I want?  Or am I
> going about this all wrong?
>
> The function reference isn't terribly clear to me, someone who hasn't done
> much scripting before.
>
> Sorry for the off-topic nature of this.  I'd do all this calculatin' in
> FX.php, but sadly there's too much data to pull in.
>
> --
> Carl Anderson
> Technical Support Analyst
> Distance Learning