[FX.php List] PHP direct access of FileMaker data

Chris Hansen chris at iViking.org
Fri Nov 16 16:20:28 MST 2007

This is the case with with most databases I've looked at.  Databases
usually have multiple ways of accessing them, of which ODBC is only
one.  Also, keep in mind that ODBC!=SQL, and different databases tend
to have their individual features which depart from both standards.
So, if you're using PHP's MySQL functions to access MySQL, no, you
aren't using ODBC; if you're using the ODBC functions, that's another
matter.

Finally, with FileMaker, and many other databases, ODBC imposes
something of a performance penalty compared to the direct API because
of the addition of another layer of software -- the driver.  (In the
case of FileMaker, I suspect that there's another API built in which
is what everything else talks to, and which has not been opened up,
but I have no direct information or evidence to support that...)

--Chris Hansen
   FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
   FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
   Creator of FX.php
   "The best way from FileMaker to the Web."
   www.iViking.org

>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org