[FX.php List] Limiting fields returned

Roger Price rp272 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 14:53:30 MST 2007

Carl

Joel mentioned FXneoCache.

I have implemented this on my website and notice a huge improvement in
performance.

However I did experience problems with it initially and made some
'enhancements'.  I tried to share these with the developer and was told to
post these to their forum.  Despite applying for membership and contacting
the developers twice  I still cannot use this forum so have given up.

FXneoCache caches each find that it is made and treats each page as a
different find even when the criteria are identical. I was caching menu data
which appears on every page on my site but a cache file was created for
each. The menu find was cached  hundreds of times which actually degraded
the performance rather than enhance it!

I have added a new function unique() which, given a value of '1' (default)
changes nothing and uses a different cache for each page (even with the same
find criteria)  or '0' which queries the same cache for each page that the
find is used on (mostly in an inclued file). The many hundreds of cache
files were reduced to one.

I have also defined two variables which I can pass as 'gets' - ?refresh=1
which expires the cache and forces a new find. This is particularly useful
when you give a cache a long TTL but want to force a refresh after making a
change to the database whic you want to display straight away. The other is
?debug=1  which forces FXneoCache to display data about its action for
debugging purposes.

If any one is interested in thes changes I would be happy to post the
modifications. I would also like to hear from anyone else who has added
enhancements to FXneoCache.

Roger