[FX.php List] PHP.ini question [OFF]

Chris Hansen chris at iViking.org
Fri Nov 2 08:51:46 MDT 2007

On Nov 2, 2007, at 6:38 AM, John Funk wrote:

> To close this thread, I did discover that the problem was not in th
> ini file
> but rather in the PHP code. The developer before me used nested <?
> command >
> and I found that some of them need to be <?PHP command ?> but not
> all of
> them. This was caused by the difference between PHP 4.1.2 and 4.2.1.

Short tags are a php.ini option (or they are now at any rate.)  As a
historical note, I originally used short tags in FX.php, but changed
when some people pointed out that this is less precise, and can cause
problems when XML (for example) is used in the same solution.  I
discourage the use of short tags unless there is a very specific
reason to use them.

> P.S. Where is the best PHP list that this would have been best suited?

Right here.  The intent of my message yesterday was not to discourage
non-specific posts (as I stated I tend to enjoy off-topic posts.)
Note that I said that the recent posts were welcome on the list, and
my example of an unwelcome post was one which (as far as I know) has
never appeared on this list.  Rather, the point was to encourage
people to use the [Off] flag as a service to other list members.  I
must admit I don't understand the stigma which some people attach to
this particular notation.  I'd appreciate some input from people back
channel on why adding [Off] to a message subject is so undesirable --
it may be that I can allay your concerns.  We've all seen LOTS of off
posts labeled this way on lists, lets not make too much of it.

Finally, please take another look at what I said yesterday about this
thread: "For example, the current php.ini thread is on the border of
off topic..."  I did not say that it needed to be marked as off
topic, but that it marks that fuzzy border.  Because this line is
fuzzy, I don't know how better to define it then by an example.  You
may be assured that if I feel a post should be flagged as [Off] I
will do so in no uncertain terms =)  I hope this clears things up.

Best,

--Chris Hansen
   FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
   FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
   Creator of FX.php
   "The best way from FileMaker to the Web."
   www.iViking.org