[FX.php List] FXneocache again

Roger Price rp272 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 24 07:27:01 MDT 2007

After much acclaimed praise yesterday with hugely improved performance I found this morning that all was not well and pages were taking even longer than previously.

A check in the cache directory found more than 600 cache files! Upon further investigation is appears that the page path is included in the string that is 'base64 encoded' to produce the storage key so that every page that calls a menu writes a different cache file. This explains why a change that I made and refreshed (yestersay's fix) did not appear when the menu was displayed in another page.

I have removed the page path from the storage key string and the files in the cache directory is now down to only 6 - a significant improvement.

The storage key contains basic 'find' data but not the actual find or search parameters. It is therefore possible to have two almost identical finds on different pages but say sorting by a different value. As things are now the second find would access the cache of the first and so would be sorted incorrectly. This however is not a problem with the particular site I am working on, but could be as it develops

I am in the process of adding an additional parameter to the FXneocache Class 'unique' which will take the value of either '0' or '1' ('1' being the default). A unique find would have the 'page path' included while a find that is used from multiple pages would not.

I will post the documented details of all my modifications if anyone is interested.

Roger