[FX.php List] Multiple AJAX with 1 JavaScript function?

John Lannon jlannon at gmail.com
Wed May 23 20:19:15 MDT 2007

Thanks Michael

I have looked a little at jQuery in the past, but what would I need
to do so that it worked with FM/FX?

My understanding is that Lance/LAJAX has already made that connection
for me, and that with another tool I'd have to do that myself.  Is
that an easy undertaking?

BTW: I just met with this client today and they may be changing this
page so I may not need it now afterall, although I do want to use
AJAX more in the future.

Best,
-Joel

Not to slight LAJAX, but it's a basic wrapper for built-in Javascript
functions (the XMLHttpRequest or ActiveXObject) that allow asynchronous
server interaction. It certainly saves you time in coding your AJAX calls,
but doesn't handle any interaction with your Filemaker datasource (all of
your FM interaction will be handled by FX.php) .

If you're just looking for AJAX functionality, LAJAX allows you to do it
quickly and easily. However, you would be well served by going with jQuery
now as, once you become comfortable with it, you'll be able to do a lot more
(DOM scripting, animations, event handling etc).

If you're planning on using Javascript/AJAX in the future, it would
definitely be in your best interest to start playing with jQuery or
Prototype/Scriptaculous or Yahoo's YUI or MochiKit or Rico or any
combination of the above. That being said, if you need to integrate AJAX now
and don't want to mess with the learning curve, LAJAX is an elegant
solution.

John