[FX.php List] [OFF-TOPIC] A bug discovery in OS X Server and OS X 10.4 installers

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue May 22 20:39:44 MDT 2007

That reminds me of the early days of analog music synthesizers, Dale.
I've been a studio musician all my life, and started using
synthesizers back in the 70s when I first got my hands on a Minimoog
when I was about 14 years old. I bought my first Moog synth in 1974,
then another in 1978; the 2nd was the fabled Minimoog, which is still
considered a wonderful device.

Back in those days, to make the pitches on the synth, there was a
long metal rod under the keyboard, that stretched from one end of the
keyboard to the other; each key had a small gold-plated wire that
would touch the rod in a different spot, thus creating the voltage
that was fed in to a voltage-controlled oscillator.

So anyway, when the Mini warmed up, it would *usually* start staying
in tune, but the same voodoo science applied with this thing;
sometimes it would just start drifting out of tune, which is why the
Mini had a built-in A-440 switch for tuning it up between songs
(which I used to do all the time). Digital oscillators weren't
invented yet, or at least weren't in music synthesizers, and it was
well-known among keyboard players that heat would play all sorts of
tricks on the tuning of a synthesizer.

These days I've sold off most of my synths and use plug-ins on a
laptop (little software emulations that are amazingly close to the
original synths, including the Minimoog, which I sold a couple of
years ago). Guitar players still use tube amps for guitars because
they sound so good, and I can fondly recall hitting the top of my
amps to get the tubes to quiet down...

I had a friend today call me about installing Vista on his XP Pro
machine; I talked to him at 3, when he was trying to figure out how
to install Vista without having to initialize his drive... he finally
nuked the drive and started installing Vista. After a half-dozen
tries, none of which completed, he gave up and decided to put XP back
on the machine. I just spoke to him at 9 and XP had apparently locked
up in its install too.. :) As a Mac guy, I was gracious and didn't
laugh (into the phone at least), but I knew I'd be telling the
story... :)

Bob