[FX.php List] [OFF-TOPIC] A bug discovery in OS X Server and OS X 10.4 installers

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Tue May 22 20:27:42 MDT 2007

Well, I'm going to say I'm as crazy, or at very least as voodoo-
cursed as Bob. (See other post in this thread.)

Back in the early 80s when I was a student hourly at the University
of Wisconsin, at a research center that did work for non-vocal
disabled people, we had a balky voice synthesizer. Now, the quality
of voice synthesis in that era was pretty bad. This thing cost about
$600 and sounded like the Cylons from the original Battlestar Galactica.

After a couple hours of use, it would start to skip and stutter. I
called the manufacturer's phone number and got some engineer at the
small company that made the thing. He told me this story: when the
synthesizer got warm, due to different rates of expansion, some of
the components on the circuit board would get loose. All I had to do
was unplug it, pick it up, hold it upside down, and slam it on the
table and everything reseat itself.

Naturally, I didn't believe him. I was only 20 years old, but I
wasn't going to fall for that one. After while, he (mostly) convinced
me, and I figured I could always claim the "I don't know what
happened" defense if it broke. So I put down the phone and slammed
the thing on the table as directed. Then I plugged the synthesizer
back in, and it worked.

After that, fixing the voice synthesizer became something of a parlor
trick around the office. The synthesizer would start to cut out and
break up, and I (or someone I'd freaked out previously with the
trick) would pick the thing up and slam it on the table. It worked
every time. I was at that job for three years after that and the
synthesizer was still going strong when I left. It would probably
still work if you didn't mind digging up an Apple II and sounding
like a Cylon.

Dale