[FX.php List] [OFF-TOPIC] A bug discovery in OS X Server and OS X 10.4 installers

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue May 22 13:50:46 MDT 2007

Recently, in the process of setting up my new web server, I
discovered a bug in OS X Server and OS X's installers that I was able
to reproduce:

If you do an install of OS X Server and it doesn't completely install
properly, or if you wanted to reinstall OS X Server for some reason,
you would normally put the install DVD into the machine and
reinstall. The installer tells you that you have to initialize the
drive, so you click that button and proceed.

In my testing, I discovered that OS X Server would hang up forever at
the beginning of the install, UNLESS the drive was already
initialized. I went through hours of grief over this; I tried
installing OS X (not Server), again checking the box to init the
drive, but it too hung up. I suspect it has something to do with OS X
Server being on the machine; I didn't test to see if I could
overwrite OS X on a previously-installed disk that had OS X on it.

When I realized that the problem was that the drive had a previous
version of OS X Server on it, I started thinking of how I might
initialize the drive:

a) put a 2nd drive into the machine, install a system on it
b) get a new drive

But here's the solution: I mounted the drive to my laptop using
Firewire target disk mode; I then was able to initialize the drive.
Once I did that, I was able to put OS X Server on without any trouble.

Thought I'd share it in case someone else stumbles into this same
problem...

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954