[FX.php List] Another question about passing variables

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue May 15 15:40:36 MDT 2007

Sorry, I wasn't very clear:

I have a site which provides auto comparisons to car dealers, 99% of
whom use Flash in their sites.

The dealers are given a link to put on their websites, so that the
public can make auto comparisons. However, the comparison site is
only reachable by way of a member's site; I did this by retrieving
the REFERER domain name and doing a simple search in the database for
their membership record, which can contain any number of valid domain
names.

I should note that most of the dealer sites want to embed the
comparison site in a frame, so that the comparisons appear to be part
of their site.

When a visitor comes to the comparison site, a session variable
stores an authorization flag that lets me know that they have
permission to use the pages of the comparison site.

However, this didn't work on Flash sites; at first I thought it was
because the dealers' sites wouldn't write the cookie properly; today,
however, I determined that it's not the storage of the cookie that is
failing. Rather, I've determined that anytime I pass a variable in a
GET command, as in this URL

detail.php?r=125

the detail.php page doesn't actually "receive" the value of r.

I got around this in a couple of instances by storing the variable in
a session, then retrieving it on the next page; it reeks of old CDML
days when we had to store everything in tokens, and it's so clunky.
However, it works, which tells me that these Flash sites aren't
passing my variables as I'm expecting them to.

Because of the nature of the site, it would be incredibly difficult
to do all the links with POST commands, but I'm beginning to see that
as the only solution.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Is there something about Flash or
ASP sites that inhibits the use of GETs?

If you'd like to see the site, go to

http://parrotmotors.advantastar.com

to see the demo site, which is open to the public and allows
potential customers to see how the site works.

Thanks,

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954