[FX.php List] Confusion with 'not equals' search

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Sun May 13 17:10:41 MDT 2007

On 12/5/07 1:28 AM, "Chris Bisgard" <chris at hotanvil.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Kevin, for that info. I'm running FMSA ver 8 on a site that gets
> pretty light traffic, and haven't seen any performance impact. While I do get
> the "it feels wrong" thing, in some cases it has been the most expedient
> solution for me. As my PHP skills improve, I suspect I will choose to use the
> -script 'crutch' less and less.
>
> You mentioned security issues and data sync integrity. What are the concerns
> there? My current scripts don't make changes to records, they only constrain
> the found set. I assume data sync and security concerns would be for running
> scripts that actually enter data, update calc fields, edit globals, etc.?

If your scripts are not modifying records or their data, then you should be
pretty safe. IIRC, the data integrity issues were an extension of the
performance issues, in that changes made via a ­script call from the web
might not propagate to all connected clients effectively. I was never quite
sure whether this was a real or merely theoretical problem myself.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College

by MailMarshal

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. You must not disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies. The College does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the College.