[FX.php List] Why not convert from CDML to fx.php?

Jonathan Schwartz jonathan at exit445.com
Sun May 13 10:19:55 MDT 2007

Hi Folks,

This is a continuation of last week's thread where I asked for help
in diagnosing a CDMl solution where the Web Connector goes deaf on a
frequent basis.

I have learned a couple of things from your answers:

- Web Connector flaking out is not unusual
- FMU5 is flakier than FMU6.
- CDML errors may occur for odd reasons
- CDML errors are difficult to diagnose

I am now asking myself, "Why not spend the time upgrading the CDML to
fx.php, rather than pouring time and effort into restoring the CDML
code?"

As a test, I did exactly that for 2 of the 30 scripts (CDML htm
pages) on my own server and was pleased with the result.  The
application is rather simple search/list/edit  or list/create set of
scripts.

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of before I propose this to
the client?  With an fx.php solution, isn't the same Web Connector in
use, and wouldn't it cause the same issues if there were problems in
the current CDML solution?

Thanks

Jonathan

--